CUPE Local 1858 represents approximately 350 staff members working at Vancouver Island University. The work of these employees ranges from research and administrative support to red seal skilled trades and ancillary services.
The Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) represents half a million workers in a wide range of occupations across Canada. CUPE National represents our interests on a national scale by promoting desirable legislation, educating the public about labour issues, and increasing our collective power by maintaining connections to various national and global labour organizations.
- a strong and respected voice both in the community and in the province;
- a united voice in CUPE National and the BC Federation of Labour;
- a voice in deciding the policy and activities of CUPE BC;
- active and committed working committees that ensure the diversity of CUPE members’ interests are represented on a provincial level;
support for organizing strikes and campaigns in your Local and your community;
- information about what governments and other employers are doing, and how their decisions affect workers and public services;
- access to a network of activists across the province who can provide mutual support on issues you are dealing with in your Local and, like you, are committed to building a strong community where they live.